February was my first full month of “A Veteran Runnah” at WordPress.com, I moved from Blogger on January 23rd and haven’t really looked back since. In some ways being limited by what I can do on WordPress.com has been a good thing, it has given me time think about where I really want to take this blog, without the worry of trying to monetize it too. I have passed up on a couple of opportunities that if I had been on Blogger, I might have thought about more seriously, but being here couldn’t do them.
Honestly, being on WordPress.com simplifies things for me a great deal and has allowed me to focus on writing, instead of back-end management issues. Which is what I wanted to do.
I am making great progress on my 2012 running goals and have had a couple of minor injuries that rest has taken care of. I did go through the “Great February Shoe Hunt” and ended up with one of the shoes on my Top 5 Shoe List – The Saucony Kinvara – after almost a 2 week period of searching. Yesterday, I got my credit notification from New Balance for returning my NB MT20s and ordered the MT110s to have as my trail shoes. I should be getting them soon.
I ended February with a real score, I was in town today and picked up a New Balance dry fit running jacket for a great price. I have needed another running jacket for a month now and when I saw it, I knew it was coming home with me. – Very bright blue, so I know I will be seen and not be mistaken for a natural critter on the side of the road or trail :-).
Running In January
- Miles Run: 100.7
- Days Run: 22
- Days Off: 07
- Longest Run: 9.0 miles on 1/21/12
- Fastest Run: 8:27 pace for 3.11 miles on 2/9/12
- Best Week: 30:57 week ending 2/5
- Miles walked: 78.86 – added in to show that I do more than just run
Shoes Run In
- Saucony Peregrine – Very good shoe until a hole wore in the padding of heal at 290 miles and started to cause blisters, put in the give away pile, so I wouldn’t wear.
- Brooks Ravenna – I tried to run in them, but they were too small, my foot seems to have spread out in the Peregrines. In the give away pile
- New Balance MT20 – Returned to New Balance for credit.
- ASICS Gel Blur 22 – Returned to Dick’s and exchanged for Kinvara
- Saucony Kinvara 2 – I now have over 50 miles on these shoes and will be doing an updated review on them in the next couple of days – needless to say that I definitely like them so far.
- Saucony Pro Grid Propel – my spike/screw shoes that I use when it is really nasty out.
- New Balance MT110 – Ordered and they are en route, should be here by Friday.
Summary: I made the 100 mile goal for the month, barely, but I made it! I played around with different Apps to use on my iPhone as a GPS device and tend to go back and forth between MiCoach and iSmoothRun. I tried a couple of others, but they didn’t work for me for various reasons. I decided to only use the Free Workouts in MiCoach, because I was getting too “serious” using the app to help coach me during my runs and wasn’t enjoying running nearly as much as I had been.
I figured out that I don’t like running just for time, I have used mileage to measure my progress for so many years, that I naturally think in those terms, even when using the time training plans. So instead of fighting myself, I just went back to using mileage as my base to plan and measure my progress. I could always switch to kilometers and make it sound further than miles – nawwww that would really confuse me ;-).
Also, I have had 3 runs of 8.0 miles or longer during February which is totally awesome! I haven’t run that far for my long runs, since I was marathon training in 2006. The best part is I don’t feel too bad the next day.
This month in a word: Further
- Narrowed the Choices Down to 5 Running Shoes
- My iPhone Running App
- 10 Things I Love About Running
- My Transition Plan to Minimalist Running Shoes
- Marathon Poll Results and Questions
- What is Good Running Form?
- The Winter Runner Stink
- The Myth – Running is Cheap
- My Very Tentative Race Schedule for 2012
- Who is the Running Minimalism Dummy Now?
- Saucony Kinvara 2 – Personal Purchase
- Asics Gel Blur 22 – Personal Purchase
- Tommie Copper Compression Sleeve for knee and calves
- New Balance Minimus Trail 20 – Personal Purchase
- Goat Head Gear – Sole Spikes
- Ruez Performance Underwear
The reality is that
Originally written by Harold Shaw published at A Veteran Runnah © 2012 – All Rights Reserved. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Harold Shaw and A Veteran Runnah with appropriate and specific directions or links to the original content.
- First Run – in My Saucony Kinvaras 2 (aveteranrunnah.com)
- WOW – I am Impressed with the Saucony Kinvara – 2/19/12 (aveteranrunnah.com)
- Welcome to A Veteran Runnah – Again (aveteranrunnah.com)