You can still get a 10% discount on your race registration (any or all three of the races) use the discount code Blogger22, but online registration ends Monday.
It is hard to believe that next Wednesday I will be in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania participating in the Runner’s World Half Events. This is my first destination race, one where I have gone more than an hour away from home or spent the night someplace for the purpose of running in races.
To be honest there are a few conflicting emotions going on right now.
I am very excited about going down there, blogging about what see and do, meeting face-to-face some the other runners that I have “talked with” on social media or their blogs, the Runner’s World staff who will be floating around the events and expo, and the other FitFluential Ambassadors who will be there as well.
Not to mention running in a 5K and Half Marathon while I am there. No I do not have any goals beyond trying to meet my annual goals for these distances and I don’t plan to put any more pressure on myself about these races other than enjoying the experience. Racing those distances can happen at other races.
I am also pretty damn nervous too! :
- I will not be around my wife and home for 5 days. I admit it I am a bit of a homebody , which is not a bad thing. Yes I will miss TheWife and Bennie Bean a lot.
- It is over 500 miles from home and I am driving down – driving doesn’t bother me, but it has been 20 years since I have driven that far.
- I have never been to Bethlehem, so I don’t know my way around down there.
- I am a planner and like to have things scheduled and this is a more free flowing event and other’s schedules will dictate how I spend my time.
- I will be meeting lots and lots of people and be on sensory overload a lot while there, I am wondering when opportunities for “down-time” or “alone-time” will happen.
- I don’t know the course, so I want to at least drive it a couple of times after I get there and run some of the hills that I have read about.
All the above will be a great adventure and actually even though I am a bit nervous about it, I know I will have a great time!
- Finally, while I have gotten a good handle on my race day anxiety and have raced more this year than I have in 25 years, these races will have a LOT more people running (expected to be over 5,000 for each race) than I am used to, so navigating to the start will be “fun”.
With so many other FitFluential Ambassadors there, I am sure that they will help/push/drag me to the starting line (peer pressure can be a good thing). The Runner’s World event races are going to be a big test of how much progress I have made on this.
The reality is that I have gotten a pretty good handle on my race day anxiety issues and am not putting artificial pressure on myself to run a certain time or anything, instead I am focusing more on the fun that I am going to have.
The people that I will get to meet, the friends I make and memories that I will have from going to the Runner’s World Event I am certain will be great ones. One thing that I do know is that I plan to take lots of pictures and write way too many blog posts while I am there.
IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE THERE, LOOK ME UP! Probably the easiest way will be to Tweet me, so we can meet up while we are there. I will be in Bethlehem from Wednesday evening to early Monday morning. Or we can make arrangements beforehand to meet-up, either Tweet me or email me.
FTC Disclaimer: My registration for these 2 races were complimentary. I will be blogging about my experiences during this event and all opinions are my own.